Suggesting a job change in a market with a consistent national unemployment rate that hovers around 9% may sound counter-intuitive. Job stability is one of the most highly sought after qualities of prospectors, and once achieved, the idea of making a change rarely enters the picture. However, even within the great flux that is today’s job market, timing couldn’t be better for the skilled IT professional to consider a change-let’s take a look at why now is the ideal time:
- Career Development. Once typified as just a diverse and expansive listing of technical skills, career development today advances through industry verticals. Of course the technology curve still plays an important role, but aligning yourself with a powerful industry sub-sector, such as healthcare, manufacturing, or mobile communications, is a great way to cultivate your expertise. These sub-sectors have emerged from the ashes of today’s economy with exceptional opportunity, visibility, and longevity.
- Why is now a great time for the change? Take a look at the unprecedented healthcare reforms brought about by the Obama administration and the subsequent effects on IT architecture across the nation. Also, what aspect of your daily life isn’t submerged in mobile technology? These days you can do just about anything on your phone through the use of mobile apps, and the demand for this skill isn’t going away any time soon. While the economy as a whole remains in a state of flux, aligning solid IT skills with a burgeoning market sub-sector makes timing prime for an exciting change.
- Why is now a good time for a change? Because of the competitive nature of the IT industry, more and more companies are modifying their philosophies to enable employees to work from home, or wherever they can, as long as they get the job done. For those with families or activities outside of work, achieving a more balanced work-life ratio is now more attainable than ever.
- Why does it make sense to do this now? Employees want to find and hang onto those exceptionally skilled IT professionals and are more than willing to put forth the effort into their career development. Training, mentoring, and (again) visibility within a strong industry present ample opportunity for lasting challenge and reward.
- Why is now a good time to look for a change? Employers are more grateful than ever to have exceptional employees, and are rewarding them for it. Whether it be through bonuses, privileges, benefits or a simple “great job” email, employers are getting wise to the value of appreciating their employees.
Today’s job market is filled with conundrums that can stifle the ambitions of some, but can also ignite an exciting journey towards a more fulfilling career for countless others. For the IT professional that can seek out opportunity amongst the chaos, the prospects are endless – at EdgeLink, we not only understand these unique challenges, we embrace them.